• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Autopilot issue with G5s and Autocontrol III

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tdowell

Reaction score
Ok guys I need a little help. To start with, here’s my setup, I’ll include a panel pic for reference. I have a 1971 Cherokee 6-260 with piper autocontrol III. I bought the plane last July with an older panel in it. At the time, the autopilot worked great and the previous owner had just had it completely serviced. In Dec 19/Jan 20, I had a GNX375 and dual G5s installed and coupled to the autopilot. During the install, the AI (still needed by the A/P) was moved to replace the turn and bank, and the turn and bank was removed. Since I got the plane back in Jan, I have been chasing a bug in the A/P. It will over pursue the heading bug or GPSS to the point that, by the 3rd osculation its banking at 60+ degrees. We have tested all of the new avionics and the pinouts as well as the autopilot components. We replaced the radio coupler because it had a weak signal, and that problem was resolved, but its still chasing the course. I’m thinking its an issue with the old AI, any one have a suggestion?

Any info would be helpful!

Thanks,

IMG_2765.jpg
IMG_4145.jpeg

Latest posts

Back