• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Amp Gauge Pulsing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Okay, so my amp meter is pulsing and my volt meter is fluctuating by .5 volts.

Thought it was the gear pump running, but have now verified that is not it.

I can hear a "pinging" in my headset as it pulses about every second.

This happened about a month ago, and then stopped. It has now surfaced again and seems to be only after the plane hasn't been flown in a week or two.

I keep a battery maintainer plugged in my NEW Concorde battery and I also pre-heat here in the Northeast.

So in flight yesterday it started again, so I figured it was the gear pump. Ran the gear up and down and it didn't effect the pulsing. Added load by turning on everything and then turning things off...still was doing it. So. I landed and it seemed to be a little more faint, but still pulsing. Jumped in the back, opened the rear access panel and checked the gear pump, not it.

So, alternator or voltage regulator maybe? Loose ground or power wire?

Thoughts on where to start looking for the obvious?

Thanks,
Dave

Latest posts

Back