• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Aileron Adjustment

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

N2897M

Reaction score
Hi All,

Last year I had new control cables installed in my 1978 PA28161 Warrior II by Sun Aviation in Vero Beach. The aircraft was also re-rigged per Piper. Plane flies straight and true, ball centered, yokes aligned and level, etc. However, there is a very slight right roll tendency that I would like to correct.

Both flaps are properly aligned to the zero reference (using the gauge), so plan is to adjust the right flap down slightly. I suspect a little adjustment goes a long way so will work in small increments.

My question revolves around the ailerons, and making any subsequent adjustments to set them properly relative to the flaps. Consider the following scenario:

1/ The aircraft is properly rigged and control cable tensions set
2/ The aircraft flies straight and true, ball centered, no roll tendency
3/ The control yokes are level and properly aligned in cruise

But, the ailerons are slightly offset in cruise flight (the right aileron is displaced 1/4" - 1/2" up relative to the flap, while the left aileron is flush to the flap). I have attached a pic of the current situation, which will become a little worse once the rh flap is adjusted.

Question is how will adjusting the ailerons affect (if at all) the three conditions I mentioned above which I do not want to impact?

leftvsright.jpg

Latest posts

Back