• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

ACF-50 and how to apply...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
In a thread a about my radio problems, it was mentioned about getting the corrosion cleaned up and treated in the tail cone.... and yes, next month I will be doing the first annual, with some help, and need to find information about spraying ACF-50 into the nooks and crannies of the fuselage, wings, and all the rest of the places that needs ACF-50 sprayed.

In looking through this forum, I did not find any postings about doing this, and one person said he used a spray nozzle like a cooling hose would use, but did not remember anything else.

So I was going to use my handy pressure sprayer, like this one from McMaster Carr:

Air Atomizing Sprayers

Spray thin liquids evenly without propellant. Fill the sprayer and pressurize with compressed air. Working pressure is 80 to 145 psi; maximum pressure is 200 psi. Repair kits include replacement seals, packing, and nozzles.

Styles C&D—Nozzle adjusts from mist to a pin stream. Style C is red.
Sprayers
Repair Kits
Cap.,
oz. Dia. Ht. Each Each
For Oils and Solvents
Steel
C 32 4" 8 1/2" 7054T11 $49.75

It works great for spraying Purple Degreeser everywhere and then some... but having an extended tube on the nozzle will be needed to get inside of the wings and like places. I will have the fuel tanks off to complete SB1006, that was last done 8 years ago, so that will help, but still want to get it all over the inside... Using brake lines to extend the nozzle makes sense, and will look into that more.. but what else??... will be pulling the wing tips, replacing the vertical cap with a new one, horizontals caps pulled also...

When I had the tail cone opened up I should have sprayed it... so the next question is how much prep work is needed before spraying away??... Scotch brite pad the surfaces??.. or just leave it and let the oil soak in??.. if surface prep is needed then some areas maybe really hard to get to... what then??..

Any other tips on doing this??.... drip pans under low places to catch the excess runoff?.. how much should be running off??... I guess I need to go to the University of Utube and learn something!... and learn how to properly rotate photos... sorry.

20160729_115326_1472526625554.jpg

Latest posts

Back