• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

530 comm oddity?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So flying last night from NOLA -> Little Rock, I notice my 530W behaving a bit oddly. Every so often, the screen would flash white for a split second, then go back to normal. This continued every couple minutes for about 20 minutes, then went away. Didn't think much else of it, made sure my ipad was charged up and went on.

An hour later, I was passed off from one approach controller to the next, and suddenly lost communication ability on the 530 altogether. I could hear myself in my headset, but they weren't picking me up, and this wasn't an abnormally far distance, we're talking 25 miles from ~7k feet.

Used my backup comm until I got to LR approach and tried switching back, and noticed then that I wasn't hearing myself on the 530 anymore when trying to respond to them. Additionally, I noticed at one point when I tried to talk that with the PTT button depressed, I got a slow pulse from the xmit side of my audio panel (PS Engineering PMA7000). The manual I have from PS Engineering doesn't have any troubleshooting info, just basic 'pilot information' usage, so I don't know what that pulse means.

Any suggestions on where to start?

Latest posts

Back