• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

PA28 Crazy Amp Ga.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darryl

Reaction score
I have seen this mentioned before and didn't think anything of it until it happened to me. My AMP Ga was slamming from one side of the Ga. to the other. At first we thought it was the regulator .... that worked for about ten minutes. Then thought it was over volting so replaced the voltage protection relay. Nope that wasn't it. We harvested the Alt. and had it checked and all was great. Then we found out if you snap the master switch on/off everything was fine until we shut down, then we had to do it again. Being logical about the situation we thought now it was a bad Master Switch. Guess what, your right that didn't do a blooming thing. When all else fails I broke out the wiring diagram and tried to find what was left. There was one more thing in the system and that was only a remote chance that could be the problem. What the heck I was desperate to get the needle to stop having a spaz attack, I'm talking about the DC Power relay that is located next to the battery box (Part #6041H105). It's job is to be the master power supplier BUT it also supplies a ground. There are two manufactures of this relay Safran and Eaton, there is about 100.00 difference between the two. I went with the Cheaper Safran and 7 hours of flying now NO PROBLEMS! After close inspection of the old relay you can see a terminal a little burnt.
After many hours of scratching heads and many bucks hanging new parts it seems like the trouble is gone, the Amp needle is not a nervous Nelly any longer.
The best to all.
Darryl
1968 PA28-140/180

Latest posts

Back