• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Alternator/Battery?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The other day flying a practice IFR approach in VFR I noticed a beeping/ warning sound coming from the back of the plane. (1980 Archer II)
A few minutes later when turning inbound and reporting on CTAF, the 530W went blank and the amps gauge was at 0. We turned off and back on the split Alt switch. The amps showed charging.
The 530 rebooted and stayed on for the short 10 minute flight to my home airport. After landing we asked a mechanic on the field about the situation. He did not know about the audible warning type sound we heard. He said my 6 year sealed Concord battery likely needs replaced and said that sometimes alternators cut off and said the whole electric system needs to work together. I replaced the battery and flew the plane without any further anomalies. I understand that the split alternator switch acts as a breaker and it can be reset by turning it off then back on. Would a correct conclusion be that the battery was not able to take the charge and the alternator just could not provide the charging and electric demand needed and cut off? Does anyone know what would cause the warning sound? I have a Whelen strobe system, someone mentioned that they make a similar sound.
Any thoughts appreciated,
TMcC

Latest posts

Back