• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Wtb Lance

Captain7787

Reaction score
In the market for a Piper lance: prefer straight tail. Autopilot, gps is optional. Doesn't have to be mint but a nice plane. No high time engines. Thanks

Unit74

Reaction score
There is a lot of value in T tails. They come with the stigma they are somehow inferior aircraft, but those are general from people regurgitating interweb babble.

T tails do want more runway, but not much. They do handle turbulent air better. For some reason, I have found they have ramp appeal. People seem to gravitate to them.

Look at a huge swath of the commercial aircraft at a Bravo. Mostly T tailed aircraft.

My plane as equipped would be a $170k 1981 Saratoga. As 79 T tail, it's more like $110k. Give up 10 knots, save $50k-ish and gain more useful load.

Or in other words, if your flying in and out of a 2500 ft strip or better, Strait v. T tail is a moot point.

GM.

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Look at a huge swath of the commercial aircraft at a Bravo. Mostly T tailed aircraft.
Aft mounted engines are a valid reason for the majority of what you see on the Bravo ramp. It's almost like a Piper engineer looked at the DC-9's and 727's in the day and say I have to do that and not really know why.

Unit74

Reaction score
Aft mounted engines are a valid reason for the majority of what you see on the Bravo ramp. It's almost like a Piper engineer looked at the DC-9's and 727's in the day and say I have to do that and not really know why.
Does it have some relationship with where the moment is on the jets?

GM.

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Not that I ever heard, the stab is simply designed to be out of the way of the engines and the engines are rear mounted to have a low fuselage for loading and ground servicing without special equipment or ladders.

rudyann

Reaction score
I may be interested in selling my lance. 3900 frame, 200 motor, autopilot, gps, and every speed mod available including howl cowl. Call me if interested.

Jeff