• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

WTB: Encoder

raymos

Reaction score
My biannual pitot test says I need a new one. If anyone has a working one available for cheap, that would be great.

mv_myrx

Reaction score
I have a 11 month old AK3 mod5 that I just had to upgrade to a mod 9 for the GPS in perfect condition and with wiring paperwork and bracket [email protected]

Ray93J

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My biannual pitot test says I need a new one. If anyone has a working one available for cheap, that would be great.

What is wrong with your's? Typically they are adjusted during the test. What brand is your's? Both AKC and Ameriking have an overhaul plan. I have not done this in a while, but the cost was something like $100 for a total overhaul and calibration.

raymos

Reaction score
Priced at Aircraft Spruce and others for just under $200 but was hoping someone had one laying around.

RayE. PA-28-140 @ 3J1

raymos

Reaction score
What is wrong with your's? Typically they are adjusted during the test. What brand is your's? Both AKC and Ameriking have an overhaul plan. I have not done this in a while, but the cost was something like $100 for a total overhaul and calibration.

He said it was dead. Recommended the ACK A30. I'm VFR only on my panel soon need for higher end options.

RayE. PA-28-140 @ 3J1

Ray93J

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He said it was dead. Recommended the ACK A30. I'm VFR only on my panel soon need for higher end options.

RayE. PA-28-140 @ 3J1

Again, what brand do you have?

Two things that make it dead. First there is a signal wire called "strobe", this must be grounded for the encoder to work. If this wire is broken the encoder will not work. Second is the heater inside the encoder. If this fails, and many do, the encoder will not work. The heater is replaced during the overhauls, plus other component the manufacture knews are likely to fail.

If you tell me the brand, I will tell you which pin is the strobe line. I can also tell you which brand use the same connector and pin out as the one you have. That will save you from have the transponder rewired.

What Transponder do you have? Did the shop take the encoder out of the airplane and check it with a test box?

raymos

Reaction score
Again, what brand do you have?

Two things that make it dead. First there is a signal wire called "strobe", this must be grounded for the encoder to work. If this wire is broken the encoder will not work. Second is the heater inside the encoder. If this fails, and many do, the encoder will not work. The heater is replaced during the overhauls, plus other component the manufacture knews are likely to fail.

If you tell me the brand, I will tell you which pin is the strobe line. I can also tell you which brand use the same connector and pin out as the one you have. That will save you from have the transponder rewired.

What Transponder do you have? Did the shop take the encoder out of the airplane and check it with a test box?

Unfortunately I am out of town and dealing over sporadic calls and Cell coverage.

I appreciate your efforts to assist and will follow up this weekend when I get back to look at things.

Ray93J

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ACK, Ameriking, Narco AR850 and Terra AT 3000 all use a standard 15 pin D shell connector. Strobe signal is on pin 6. Power is pin 8. King and Trans-cal are the same. But 12v power is pin 14 and 28 v power is 8. ll Morrow Apollo and Rosetta Micro Systems use the same connector, but the strobe is pin 8 and power (14 and 28) is pin 9. Hopefully you have ACK, Ameriking, Narco or the Terra. A new ACK will mate to the connector, with only physical mounting requiring a change.

raymos

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I have a new unit coming from AC Spruce - hopefully tomorrow.

I don't yet know what the old unit was but the guy doing the test has been doing it for the past several years and I trust he pointed me to the correct one (ACK A30).