• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

WTB: Encoder

BGFYankee

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
On a related note, my encoder (or maybe just transponder) seems to be showing a definite 300 foot discrepancy that ATC is not appreciating. Can that be tweaked?

Sent from my iPhone using Piper Forum

BGFYankee

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
It's weird because my pitot-static and transponder check was completed literally this past week. Shouldn't that have shown up??

Reaction score
It's weird because my pitot-static and transponder check was completed literally this past week. Shouldn't that have shown up??

It should have. Mine was tested under same pitot static checks. See attached. I know I am past due to test mine. But I not ifr yet. ImageUploadedByPiper Forum1404688030.802359.jpg

BGFYankee

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
Yup. For whatever reason it wasn't caught during the check, but I hooked up with the guy again this morning and it was about a 30 minute fix adjusting the high and low of the encoder. Followed it up with a quick flight and call to Memphis Center for verification. Hopefully this will resolve the problem.

raymos

Reaction score
It should have. Mine was tested under same pitot static checks. See attached. I know I am past due to test mine. But I not ifr yet. View attachment 2917
I checked the regulations when mine was about to turn into a pumpkin at the end of the month. The encoder is required to enter class B and C airspace in VFR as well.

If you plan to stay in class G space until it is inspected, you should be fine.

My plane is used for training so I wanted to be sure it was legal to go into those larger airports.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I checked the regulations when mine was about to turn into a pumpkin at the end of the month. The encoder is required to enter class B and space in VFR as well.

My plane is used for training so I wanted to be sure it was legal to go into those larger airports.

Thanks for reminding. I would need to get it inspected this month as per 14 CFR 91.413. Will take care of it before Oshkosh trip.

GM.

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Actually, he would also be fine out of G airspace with authorized deviations. You just have to let ATC know.

Last edited:

Latest posts