• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Wing spar... thing-a-ma-bob?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I came across a PA-28-201 Arrow, that had the eddy current inspection done in 2018, and also has a seemingly/possibly extra piece of metal on one side of the wing spar upper flange (right side, aft), such that the 4 bolts on that side pass through the thing-a-ma-bob, which backs up the wing spar flange. I've attached a picture to help, if that description makes no sense. None of the other 3 rows of bolts on the right wing, or any of the 4 rows of bolts on the left wing, have this thing-a-ma-bob installed. I don't find any mention of this in the logs, but that could be because it's not logged as "thing-a-ma-bob".

So what is it? What's under there? Is this normal practice, or does it indicate some kind of bubba-ing? The eddy current inspection was carried out while the plane was being operated by a large flight school, so it would seem to imply that this is accepted practice? Or is it possible that in doing the inspection on the lower bolt holes, they might not have noticed this on the upper bolt holes (seems unlikely)?

Secondly, what is the sense in terms of whether or not any future AD is going to require re-inspection if the inspection was already made in 2018? Impossible to tell without the text of the hypothetical AD?

IMG_0046.JPG

Latest posts

Back