• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Ways to put O360 on a Cherokee

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

killrocks

Reaction score
I know there is a guy out there with an STC to put a O360 on a PA28-140.

I'm looking at options for my 73 PA28-140. The issues with my powerplant continue to mount and I'm looking at probably 12 hours of local labor to comply with the new Lycoming AD. I had hoped to get a few hundred hours out of it, but thanks to Lycomings QC, it has to come apart AGAIN.

Option 1: overhaul current engine. I have very minor pitting in the crank. At 150HP the crankshaft corrosion AD does not apply, but it was first noted in the logs 13 years ago so if I go 160HP I'll likely need a new crank.

Option 2: used serviceable 160HP engine. There are usually several out there.

Option 3: used serviceable 180 O360. I see these a LOT and they are usually cheaper than the O320s.

Besides better performance here in the hot and high southwest, the other big plus to an engine swap is that I can keep the old engine and overhaul it with more informal oversight by my AP/IA to use on a future RV9a project, using the current crankshaft provided NDT is OK.

The STC holder for the PA28-140/O360 swap is notoriously difficult to reach. I know there is also a STC holder to install an O360 on a PA28-151 and 161.

My AP/IA is a Charles Taylor designee and has a pretty good relationship with the MX people at the local FSDO. Can he make this swap as a major alteration instead of via STC, referring to the data on these STCs? It's clearly an airworthy combination. Alternatively, what is the process for applying for your own STC? Depending on how involved it is, I might be willing to make my own airplane a test bed for another STC, one that people can actually pick up the phone and buy.

Latest posts

Back