• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Vertical stabilator shake

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mobilepolice

Reaction score
Does anyone have the part number for a 1980 Piper Seneca II stabilator bearing and/or other wear components?

I don't have a parts catalog for this airplane and I'd like to order something and have it on hand for my A&P/IA to replace.

I'm getting about a +/- 1 inch vertical oscillation in the stabilator (measured at the tips) during stall and during normal flight the oscillation is down to 1/2" or less. It's enough to where you can feel the vibration in the back of the airplane, but this is reported by a passenger whom I had along for a ride and informed him of the condition prior to flight.

I can't feel the vibration in the control yoke, but if I'm outside the plane and I grab the stab by the end caps and shake it up and down I can get it to make noise and continue to oscillate for at least 3-5 more times up and down after I let go.

No detectable horizontal (forward/aft) movement yet, but I intend to check tonight.

Any guesses as to if this is an immediately dangerous condition?

Latest posts

Back