• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

PA32R-301 Trim Issues and Elevator Feedback?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexturner

Reaction score
First time poster here so thanks for having me. I fly a 32R-301 out of Sydney, Australia and have recently been having issues with forward trim which only appears to rear it's head when the aircraft is reasonably loaded (close to MTOW). There are two issues which I'm not sure are connected but definitely seem unusual and was looking for thoughts as to what it could be. The first being, when the aircraft is close to MTOW with the COG well within the envelope, trimming the aircraft full FWD still requires forward pressure on the stick coming in for final at 80kts (and quite a bit). This could be a misconfiguration of the jackscrew.

Yesterday I flew the aircraft and on entering cloud with some updrafts and turbulence, the control column was moving on it's own, perhaps up to 1"-1.5" in movement and moving at about 3-5 oscillations a second. It was a very unusual sensation to experience and enough to downgrade VFR and return to my home airport after 10 mins of flight.

On feeling the stabilator on the ground, it appears firm bearings smooth. Where would you look?

Latest posts

Back