• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

uAvionix (Aerovonics) AV-30 Certified - $1,995

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How would the av30 DG work without a remote magnetometer?
Same way your vaccum DG does. You have to adjust it occasionally. They don't support remove magnatometer yet, but I think they plan to. I wouldn't expect to see it for a couple years or more though.

There is also GPS track mode, which you would probably use 99% of the time anyway.

I don't care too much about the remote magnetometer, and I know it will probably support my S-TEC 20 soon in heading mode (it's first on their list), but the biggest issue for the AV-30 in HSI mode is that it can't act as the required external primary CDI for your GPS.

That might not block me in the end, because I don't mind keeping a mechanical CDI, but it will probably turn off a lot of potential buyers, especially since the ugly square G5 is only a few hundred $ more, and has GPSS built-in to boot.

Last edited:
I did some creative searching for information on AV-30. Here's what I found:

Blog post from uAvionics:

(December 15, 2019):

Update on the AV-20 first: The units are being manufactured and inventory is building. They are waiting on distribution documentation approval. Units can not ship until that is received. Time is estimate to be up to 2 weeks.

Aircraft Spruce lists it as expected ship date January 31, 2020.

I am waiting on a return call for the AV-30. My primary focus currently is on the initial AML and process for adding airframes. There are several paths but as of right now, I will caution folks that if you put in a pre-order with me or anyone else, there is a possibility that your plane may not be on the AML when the STC is approved. Don't panic, but be careful. Just because the big websites have the AV-30 front and center and will gladly take an order, they are not telling the whole story.

Aircraft Spruce lists it as expected ship date January 19, 2020. uAvionics website still has it listed as preorder.

2:
Seems Grumman will be first.
"ALL GRUMMAN CLASS I and CLASS II aircraft will be on the AML."

I don't see anything about Piper yet. It could be just because the list is not out yet. But if Grumman is certified for class I and class II it is a good sign for all other types. The AML list is supposed to start coming out by the end of January.

3:
STEC Autopilot support will be the first to be released. It is up in the air if the Century Line or BendixKing/TruTrak will be next.

TT support? YES!!!! This is exciting.

4:
Will the AV-30C display vertical guidance for IFR approaches?
**The initial AV-30 Certified software release will not have ARINC429 software enabled to provide the Glide Slope. The current GPS data overlay information is RS232 data. So, on the first release, it will not be able to serve as a primary indicator for IFR GPS Vnav. But, unlike the Garmin, it will be designed to play well with other manufacturers hardware.
... This is a high priority planned upgrade for 2020.

I think I can see a strategy emerging here. They do want to actually compete with G5. Interesting.

3:
STEC Autopilot support will be the first to be released. It is up in the air if the Century Line or BendixKing/TruTrak will be next.

I think I can see a strategy emerging here. They do want to actually compete with G5. Interesting.

TT integration would be the best marketing move.. The Centurys are being replaced with the TTs at an alarming rate..

>>I think I can see a strategy emerging here. They do want to actually compete with G5. Interesting.

2 of these make a nice easy installation.. coupled to the TT AP, this is a really attractive, nice economical upgrade!

Hope this happens!

Cap

Blog post from uAvionics:

(December 15, 2019):

Update on the AV-20 first: The units are being manufactured and inventory is building. They are waiting on distribution documentation approval. Units can not ship until that is received. Time is estimate to be up to 2 weeks.

Aircraft Spruce lists it as expected ship date January 31, 2020.

I am waiting on a return call for the AV-30. My primary focus currently is on the initial AML and process for adding airframes. There are several paths but as of right now, I will caution folks that if you put in a pre-order with me or anyone else, there is a possibility that your plane may not be on the AML when the STC is approved. Don't panic, but be careful. Just because the big websites have the AV-30 front and center and will gladly take an order, they are not telling the whole story.

Aircraft Spruce lists it as expected ship date January 19, 2020. uAvionics website still has it listed as preorder.

2:
Seems Grumman will be first.
"ALL GRUMMAN CLASS I and CLASS II aircraft will be on the AML."

I don't see anything about Piper yet. It could be just because the list is not out yet. But if Grumman is certified for class I and class II it is a good sign for all other types. The AML list is supposed to start coming out by the end of January.

3:

4:
Will the AV-30C display vertical guidance for IFR approaches?
**The initial AV-30 Certified software release will not have ARINC429 software enabled to provide the Glide Slope. The current GPS data overlay information is RS232 data. So, on the first release, it will not be able to serve as a primary indicator for IFR GPS Vnav. But, unlike the Garmin, it will be designed to play well with other manufacturers hardware.
... This is a high priority planned upgrade for 2020.

Good news about the ARINC plans. If that ever happens, I'd consider the AV-30 again as a DG/HSI replacement.

TT integration would be the best marketing move.. The Centurys are being replaced with the TTs at an alarming rate..

>>I think I can see a strategy emerging here. They do want to actually compete with G5. Interesting.

2 of these make a nice easy installation.. coupled to the TT AP, this is a really attractive, nice economical upgrade!

Hope this happens!

Cap
Coupled with the EI GEM I can keep all the holes round. ;-)

Hope this happens!

Cap
even at an alarming rate of replacement, there are tens of thousands of Century autopilots in service, and only a few hundred of the new TT autopilots so far.

As many people have noted I don't think this is a direct competitor to the G5. How I am going to use it is a backup AI for my Aspen since the AV-30 will still give usable attitude info in the event of a pitot static blockage. The other plane with a Century III it will be an awesome replacement for the vacuum AI that drives the Century, when the interface is released, I am real tired if overhauling the AI every 5 years or so.

I am being honest with my customers and making sure they don't think that for $1999 and a few hours of install they can have full PFD functionality. I really do believe these units will continue to evolve with software updates and get there eventually but for now they are a GREAT backup or primary AI with a ton of cool extras. Just my opinion, what do you guys think?

Latest posts

Back