• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

uAvionix (Aerovonics) AV-30 Certified - $1,995

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I was shopping for avionics 2+ years ago I had the understanding that I could not legally drive my Century 21 AP with a portable GPS in a certified aircraft. Somehow this is allowable with TruTrak which is great.

That is my understanding... with the Century.

Our panel GPS does the heavy lifting with GPSS, but switching to the Garmin 796 works VERY well. It overshoots hard turns a bit of course, (> 50 degrees) but for most route turns, <30 degrees, hardly noticeable...

Cap

So I am old school, but I LOVE redundancy, and am hanging on to the vac system as well.. Back up instruments are essential, but I feel a backup power source is also essential. Certainly a good reason NOT to remove it unnecessarily...

The TruTrak has worked VERY well for me (18 months in so far) , and has exceeded all expectations. The E5 is in the plan, waiting for the Alt and VS flags to be transmitted to the TT in the next software update, (they WILL drive the vertical) which will include a full HSI at no cost.

Approach cert .. in no hurry yet, as I need an approach certed navigator first. ($)

If the Vac sys was troublesome, might change my mind, but so far.... all good...

Cap
Is there a significant weight advantage to removing the old vacuum system? If not, why move it?

So it seems that the only thing I would get with "autopilot integration" is the ability to control autopilot heading from the DG. Interesting.

It "may" be more than that. With their adapter box, the AV-30 as an AI can be pitch and roll source for the Century III, You can ditch that vacuum AI that you were mentioning in the other thread.

I read that on the old Aerovonics site... Can't find it anymore on the new uAvionix one. Hopefully they will still do it.

It "may" be more than that. With their adapter box, the AV-30 as an AI can be pitch and roll source for the Century III, You can ditch that vacuum AI that you were mentioning in the other thread.

I read that on the old Aerovonics site... Can't find it anymore on the new uAvionix one. Hopefully they will still do it.
Link for that please?

Is there a significant weight advantage to removing the old vacuum system? If not, why move it?
Define significant. My gross weight is 3600 lbs. I have a 1400 ish useful load. Yes, I could lose a few pounds. Or I could carry 1 gallon less fuel. So 93 gallons instead of 94.

Is it interesting? Sure. But a priority? If I have a backup like AV-30, I'm thinking I can wait. When I have my full redundancy requirements met and it's convenient then sure, why not remove the vacuum.

We finished up the one in my 235 in two evenings, but the interior was already out for an annual. Since there were two of us on it, I would figure around 20 to 25 hours at the most of our combined time. The most time consuming parts are getting your panel apart to get to the backplate of the navigator to run the 429 connections and RS232 connections and getting all of the vacuum gauges, lines and stuff pulled out. I prewired most of the aspen connections to the Navigator, Trutrak, power for the aspen and switch on the bench ahead of time so I could get the backplate apart, pin it quickly and then place the switches, connect the new breaker and switch for the apsen and then place the RSM and make it's connections in the Aspen connector and finish assembling it. Mount the Aspen bracket and make the rectangular cutout to your panel overlay (this can be time consuming if you are cutting the old plastic as you have to really take your time, I use a small reciprocating body saw with a fine blade at slow speed and it does a very good job).
It is much easier than an engine monitor install. The Aspen jobs that take a long time are the ones that require an ACU and the goofy transformer circuits that have to be hand built to interface to an old Century autopilot. Those get to be tedious as you are working with those delicate blue amphenol connectors that fall apart in your hands and create new issues.
Without an ACU and hand built circuit the install time is much shorter. Since the Trutrak, Navigator and Aspen are all digital the connections are much quicker, much more reliable and there are not nearly as many wires.
If you add an ACU for an analog Nav/Com like a King 155 or something to input nav data to the Aspen it isn't as time consuming as the Century autopilot stuff, but will add a good bit of time.
On my Lance and on the 235 I did not bother to bring the analog devices into the Aspen and leave them connected to their original CDI which also satisfies the requirement for a backup Navigation CDI in case of failure of the Aspen. Would it be nice to have the analog units also display on the Aspen along with the digital info from the Navigator.... yes, but not for the added hours and $1000 for an ACU that I don't need otherwise since I have a digital autopilot.
I've already prewired my Lance install. I had a plastic blank over an old annunciator I pulled out from the old Apollo setup I removed last year, so I made a metal plate to fit there, put in the power switch for the aspen, the NAV/ASPEN selector switch and the breaker and pre wired it all. I will slide it into place, pull the wires to the appropriate locations, pin them out into the NAV and Aspen, hook up the power and grounds, etc... and it will cut down on a lot of time of having to have the airplane apart and in the way on the shop floor.

Great post! This gives me a roadmap for what I would want to swap out next. Seems the E5, while nice to do, I might want to take on after doing my autopilot and my KX-155 swap to a Trig-56 (or something that has a digital output).

On an unlimited budget I would just do it all. But... I figure I can stomach maybe $10K per year max for upgrades (which I have already blown through several times over since I bought her 6 months ago).

AV-30 gives me backup in the meantime. I think the PFD market is going to evolve rapidly over the next couple of years. Either that or competition for the G5/AV30 such as the one from Bendix-King or possibly newcomers.

Link for that please?

From the FAQs: https://uavionix.com/products/av-30/#faqs

Expand the section

"Will the initial STC have autopilot compatibility?"

"Follow on autopilot integration will occur over time, with most likely the Century systems first. These interfaces provide roll and pitch, in addition to the heading datum, to the autopilot. This interface is accomplished with the APA-10 converter."

Hmmm... dono… MAYBE 7lb. with everything out, minus whatever the cap weighs... there may be others here who can offer the weight after they have completed the removal...

I cannot recall EVER a flight where I was that close to gross weight.. where this would make a difference…

But for some.. perhaps...

Cap

From the FAQs: https://uavionix.com/products/av-30/#faqs

Expand the section

"Will the initial STC have autopilot compatibility?"

"Follow on autopilot integration will occur over time, with most likely the Century systems first. These interfaces provide roll and pitch, in addition to the heading datum, to the autopilot. This interface is accomplished with the APA-10 converter."

Interesting.. why they would do the Century APs first. The ones that so many are REMOVING from the fleet...

Weird... but it must make sense to somebody...

Cap

Interesting.. why they would do the Century APs first. The ones that so many are REMOVING from the fleet...

Weird... but it must make sense to somebody...

Cap
I think it's market segmentation. They figure the ones buying the $2K AV-30 will mostly be the ones not paying $7-15K to upgrade to a new-gen autopilot: those people are all putting in G5s, Aspens, etc. That's why it's one-gen-old STEC first, two-gen-old Century second. I'm sure you could make a case for TruTrak after that, because it is the cheapest of the new-gen A/Ps, and there might be some market cross-over.

Latest posts

Back