• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

TruTrak vs. GFC 500 (when G5's are a given)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frontrangeflyer01

Reaction score
It looks like we're on short final to have TruTrak Vizion and Garmin's GFC 500 autopilots certified for PA32's.

I understand that TruTrak will likely beat Garmin to the punch, but that's not the subject of this post.

This post is centered around those who have already selected one or more G5's for their panel (I have dual G5's).

My question is, which certified autopilot will provide the most capability "out of the box" when Garmin G5's are a given?

"Working on it" doesn't sound comforting as I'm sure Garmin has ZERO interest in helping the TruTrak folks support G5's.

I see this same problem with Aspen as Aspen reps I spoke with at the Sante Fe AOPA flyin were badmouthing Garmin (maybe justifiably).

I had a 20 year career in enterprise software, so I've seen how hard it can be to get companies to open up their "walled garden" architectures and allow competitors to plug in.

If I'm going to upgrade my old Piper AutoControl III (which works perfectly with G5's because Garmin chose to support the old AP's), I'd want the new autopilot to support ALL of it's features (altitude hold, fully coupled approaches, envelope protection, etc.) AND be addressable via my G5's.

Does anyone have insight here?

Installing a modern autopilot that won't fly a "full approach and missed" because boxes don't talk to each other seems like a waste.

Thanks,
Buck

P.S. I'm not a Garmin fanboy. On top of the G5's, I chose an Avidyne IFD550 nav/com and a PS Engineering 450A audio panel.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back