• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Touchy throttle on Turbo Arrow 3

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
1977 Turbo Arrow 3. New to me, and what a ship it is!

The engine is a 1999 Continental reman, TSIO360-FB2. Merlyn Black Magic is installed and works as advertised.

Im finding that the throttle on this ship is very, very touchy. I knew to expect a lag in turbo spool-up for takeoff and big power transitions (I can see how pilots used to cook these engines by ramming it forward and over boosting), but am surprised at how touchy the throttle is in cruise.

While trying to set MP in cruise climb and cruise, I feel like I have to apply really small adjustments and wait to see where they land. It feels like I can lean on it with a few ounces of pressure, look away, and come back to find that the MP has changed 4 inches. This is my first Piper with a throttle quadrant, and it’s almost making me wish for a vernier.

Is this typical for the turbocharged birds? First one for me....and yes, I’m running more off the Seneca 2 power charts than the TA3 charts.

Latest posts

Back