• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Thinking of adding Air Conditioning to my 140

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As it is now hot again, and my wife does not like flying to begin with, she really wants more airflow and cooler air in the plane. My plane is a '67 140 with a 180hp O-360, thus the same performance as a 180 but no baggage door. Max weight is still at 2150 lbs. It has the same baggage areas as a 180. I need to have 50 lbs of lead in the far back next to the rear hat shelf bulkhead to get the W&B better centered. So with all that, I am looking into the KoolAir 200 CFM, 12 Volt with Duct, Real AC unit that mounts in the baggage area. It weighs about 50 lbs so the weight is not an issue.

I did build an ice cooler based unit, that worked rather well for 15 min. not a large enough cooler to hold enough frozen water bottles to really make it work longer, and was a pain to get loaded into and out of the plane. Thus the reason to consider the Real AC unit. Wanted to know if anyone has used one of these unites, and how well it cooled.. in real life. Mounted in the back with the hose blowing towards my wife who only sits in the back seat, may be the way to go.

I have all LED lights, and one radio, thus the AMP draw is about 10 amps currently, Day VFR flying only.,.. but also will be adding a Plane Power 60 amp alt. This is a light weight unit also which will help with the balance issues. The AC unit needs 27 amps to provide max cooling.

Thinking this would be a lower cost option than stepping into another plane that has AC already... 80% of my flying is just me, so having the cool air would not be bad but having a happy wife the other 20% of the time is important....

http://www.arcticaircooler.com/product-p/rac-200-1-12d.htm

Latest posts

Back