• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Thinking about 2020

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WebRuss

Reaction score
Hello All
Yes I know 2020 is 6 years away. The new mandates from the FAA in regards to ADS-B and mode-s transponder have got me thinking.

I don't know that I am going to spend $3K for a new transponder with ADSB-OUT or Mode S as I am not really sure I need or want it. Looked at a few at Sun-N-Fun and I am not really impressed.

My hope here is to have a discussion about these changes and what you might plan to do with your aircraft.

From the FAA Website:
http://www.faa.gov/nextgen/implementation/programs/adsb/faq/
How will the new ADS-B Out rule effect me?
On January 1, 2020, when operating in the airspace designated in 14 CFR § 91.225 (outlined below) you must be equipped with ADS-B Out avionics that meet the performance requirements of 14 CFR §91.227. Aircraft not complying with the requirements may be denied access to this airspace.
Under the rule, ADS-B Out performance will be required to operate in:
  • Class A, B, and C.
  • Class E airspace within the 48 contiguous states and the District of Columbia at and above 10,000 feet MSL, excluding the airspace at and below 2,500 feet above the surface.
  • Class E airspace at and above 3,000 feet MSL over the Gulf of Mexico from the coastline of the United States out to 12 nautical miles.
  • Around those airports identified in 14 CFR part 91, Appendix D.
The ADS-B Out rule does not apply in the airspace defined in items 1 and 2 above for any aircraft that was not originally certificated with an electrical system or that has not subsequently been certified with such a system installed, including balloons and gliders.

For me as a GA pilot in my 68 Cherokee - here is what I think this means.
Disclaimer: IANAL (I Am Not A Lawyer)

1. The mode C veil becomes a mode S veil. This raises a question about Class D & E airports under the veil and outside the Bravo.

2. Class C will be off limits (unless you get special permission 1 hour prior) This does eliminate a few airports I have used in the past but oh well I will take my GA dollars elsewhere. (Savannah, Asheville, Orlando)

3. Class D is still OK.

4. Class E has a max of 10k MSL without mode S - not really an issue rarely go that high.

5. Class G is ok

6. The airports on the special appendix list are not ones I would visit anyway as they are big commercial aviation sites.

Did I get that right?

Regards
Russ

Latest posts

Back