• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

TEMPEST replaced my spark plug at OSH

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I had a relatively new Unison REM40E plug fail electrically in my engine. The plug went from around 1500 ohms when I installed it (which I checked) to infinity (open) in about 50 hours of service. The plug was mounted in a lower position and was totally white when I removed it. Unfortunately, I didn't take any pictures of it.

TEMPEST had a booth at Airventure and was offering to test plugs for resistance. I gave them my plug and after putting in on the tester they had a puzzled look. They then went to the back a got a digital ohmmeter, tested it again, and then declared it as "open," which I already knew. The president of the company, John Herman, then got interested in the sequence of events and asked, "How many more of these do you have?" I responded, "7 - in my engine." He handed me a brand new plug and said, "If any more fail, you send them to me and I'll replace them."

As most of you know, TEMPEST did not manufacture this plug, it was made by UNISON, the predecessor company, which TEMPEST bought.

I felt this was excellent customer service and it should be promoted on this board.

TEMPEST was also offering $10.00 gift cards on the purchase of 6 filters from Aircraft Spruce. I took advantage of that deal, too.

Latest posts

Back