• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Spark plugs - misfire and high resistance

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richard

Owner/Pilot
Reaction score
I had a misfire in my 161 Warrior that just would not clear today. I aborted the flight (at run-up) and returned to parking. When I pulled the plugs for the right mag, 3 looked great and 1 - not so much.

Checking the resistance, the best one was 120k ohms. The others were essentially open. I unscrewed the cap that holds the spring and resistive carbon pile. 2 showed internal damage from arcing and heat.

The plugs themselves were essentially 0 ohms without the resistor. The resistors by themselves were about the same as the original measurements. I understand new plugs should be about 4k ohms.

I bought my plugs new and installed them about 12 years ago and put 900 hours on them, and never thought to check their resistance. I won't do that again. Every time the plugs come out, they're getting checked - even if they look good and seem to be running fine.

I'll install new plugs this weekend and report back.

Latest posts

Back