• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Should I be thinking of purchasing?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raptor05121

Mooney Apostate
Reaction score
Is it possible/safe/smart to purchase an airplane on a loan for a person just getting into life? I'm a 23 year old student pilot that should be licensed by the end of the month. The girlfriend and I plan on doing a bit of flying in the near future (minimum 15 hours a month) with the occasional cross country.

I currently have a 1964 Cherokee 140 that hasn't flown in about 7 years, I'm considering it a basket case and trying to unload it to anyone looking for a project. Selling price is $10k so most/all of that would probably be my purchasing power. I'd like to keep in the Cherokee family 140/160, but would love a 180. Renting a 152 is an option, but it is really slow, as is its carrying capability. But like many of you know, its just something nice to have something where you left it last and be available 24/7 without playing phone tag.

Looking on controller, $25k would be a decent price that would keep me happy for a short 4-seater. With 10k down, financing $15k. I've never had such a big purchase so this is all unknown grey area to me. I still drive my first vehicle (1998 F-150, with 435,000 miles). Its going to have to be replaced soon, so thats another factor I have to think about. I'm just wondering if I'm rushing into this and would be a bad idea.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back