• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Shimmy Damper

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a 75 Cherokee 140 that we are renting out. Everything was fine until one of our students over-steered with the tow bar. We replaced the steering bar (long story but it had been re-welded at some point in the past) and the rod end on the shimmy damper. The shimmy damper is one of the Cleveland varieties. Since then we have had 3 broken rod ends on the damper. We have replaced the front tire and checked all of the usual suspects such as linkage play and geometry setup. Last night I bit the bullet and ordered a Lord damper. Has anyone else had issues with the Cleveland dampers? My mechanic says that he knows of someone else that has had the same issue with one of the Cleveland dampers. He also says that he has never seen this with one of the older style dampers.

Latest posts

Back