• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Saratoga gear fault, the right way!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdnemsguy

Reaction score
Launched out early morning for a short 100 NM flight and when bringing gear up, nothing happened, so thought airspeed was not high enough to allow gear up. Dropped the nose and gear came up. At destination, gear came down as text book and no issues. Sat on the ramp for about 6 hours. Now on the return trip home, gear failed to retract after T/O. I varied the airspeed and nothing. No red transition light, tried the ext. override, CBs were in, looked in the POH, pitot heat on, throttle positioning changed and nothing. Cycled the switch and nothing(too many times I think). 3 green stayed on so a slower flight returning to my base, after a fly by the tower to make sure the gear looked proper after trying to trouble shoot it in the air. Landed safely and parked right at the AMEs shop. He took a quick look and the squat switch wasn't stuck, was clicking and there wasn't any evidence of a broken wire. They will be looking into it tomorrow so hope its an easy fix. All I can say is if the gear is not going to move positions, I am glad it was down and locked, not up. I have looked through my Maintenance Manual and do not see a lot, but hopefully the pros can get it figured.

Latest posts

Back