• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Replace 530W and 430W or wait

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

midsouthps

Reaction score
I have a 530w and 430w in my PA23 with old school HSI and AI. We recently installed a GPS175 and dual G5s in my wife's 172. I love the way the GPS175 integrates with the G5 units. I plan on putting the G5s in the PA23 and upgrading the 530 and 430. I am not willing to upgrade to a GTN as I cannot justify the labor to make that upgrade. And, more of an issue is that everytime someone gets behind the panel of any plane I've ever had, they screw up other stuff when messing around back there (although this last upgrade on the 172 was trouble free).

I would really like to see Garmin come out with a slide in replacement for the 530 and 430 that is basically a larger version of the GNC355/GPS175. However, I am seeing no indication of something like that coming and I'm really not willing to wait much longer. So, I'm thinking about the slide in replacement of the IFD units. My main concern is how much functionality/integration I will lose with the G5 units once installed. As I said before, I am really loving the way the GPS175 integrates with the G5 units. It is sweet. I really need to move into the latest decade on my gps/nav/comm units. So, what will I not get from the IFD that I would get with a GTN/GNC355 type unit as far as integration goes?

Latest posts

Back