• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Raptor's Flight Training

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raptor05121

Mooney Apostate
Reaction score
Well since I successfully accomplished my 3rd class medical, but I still have a SODA flight to do. But I contacted a local flight instructor with a 1978 C152 and today we met up, did some learning about eachother than did some briefing before we went flying. This thread is going to be an online logbook as sorts to keep track of my progress and for general entertainment.

The plane is a relatively late-model 1978 Cessna 152 with shoulder harnesses.

10922513_10153050810114640_8939129299994371770_n.jpg

1975021_10153050865524640_4436864508600318229_n.jpg

Coming out of Cannon Creek airpark in Lake City, FL (15FL).

Rwy 18/36, 4000x25 paved
Rwy 09/27, 3000x50 turf

Canyon%20Creek%20Airpark.jpg

We did a preflight and with relatively little instructor input, I started, taxiied, did the radio calls and lined up for takeoff. I had told him past experience with simulators and family of pilots so he I guess felt more comfortable letting me do most of the stuff. We tookoff the paved runway 36. Climbed out at 70 up to 2000 and did some basic turns. I learned the importance of rudder in a Cessna. Then did some steep 30* turns and held altitude. Turned south, climbed to 3,000 feet and did 3x power on stalls then 2x power off stalls. Stalls and recovery were something special compared to the Cherokee. Then we came around to the airport, entered the pattern, did 3x full stops on the grass 27 and parked it.

Myself, I now know the meaning of being "behind the airplane". The whole time I felt like I was playing catch up. Tracking RPM, watch the climb, maintain 70kias, dont exceed so much angle, etc etc etc. It was A LOT to take in. At work, I can take a suicidal person on the phone with me shoot himself or people screaming as a loved one is dying in front of them, but today was the most mentally challenging task I've ever experienced in my life. My brain is saturated, my back hurts (probably should've gotten comfortable prior to engine start), and I'm exhausted. But I absolutely L-O-V-E-D it. Flying is all I want to do. Its like I've been bitten all over again. Every nickel and dime I have all I want it to go towards is flying. I am frothing at the mouth just thinking of solo cross countries and seeing the world from the air.

Debrief was that the instructor was very pleased with my performance. He said my last two takeoffs couldn't have been done any better and the landings were decent for a first time. We debriefed and tomorrow is our next lesson. We have planned for more stalls, slow flight, steep turns, and go visit KLCQ (Class G towered airport 3 miles away). He asked when I want to complete training, and I told him no later than July. And he said with what he saw today, that if it took longer than April 30th, he would be astonished.

All-in-all, today is a day I'll never forget.

Logged: 0.8 hrs
Landings: 3

-Alex

Latest posts

Back