• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Radio Problems with Aveo LED Beacon

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

netsurfr

Reaction score
I installed the Aveo Galactica Red Baron XP LED Beacons on my plane last year and found they seem to be putting out some sort of radio "noise" over the air. What I encounter is a clicking nose on my Com radios (antenna closest to tail) when the Aveo Beacon is powered on. At first we figured it was a wiring/shielding/grounding issue but after making sure all those items were OK I started thinking the noise was being put out over the air so I took my backup handheld radio to test and got the same noise on it so that proofed that the noise was not coming through the airframe/wiring and in fact over the air. Aveo said they have been working on a new product (a filter that supposedly eliminates any noise from their led lights) so I've been waiting for that product which I finally got this week.

I did some bench testing before asking A&P to install it on the plane and unfortunately experience the same noise on the ground. Here's a video of the problem. It's quite prevalent over the headsets in the air. Sometimes louder than others and mostly on Com 2 (antenna closest to tail/LED).

Anyhow I'm waiting to hear back from Aveo but considering I've been waiting months for this "fix" I'm not confident they'll have anything else to try so I've asked them if there's a way I can get a refund for the very expensive LED beacon as it's obvious a problem with the light and not anything in the plane so waiting to hear what they say.

I believe there's one or 2 of you with this very same light on your Piper and would love to see if you can replicate the problem with yours. All it would take to test is get a handheld radio, turn it on to a com frequency and unsquelch it and turn on the Aveo LED Beacon and hold the handheld radio near the beacon to see if you hear the same. Aveo sent me a 2nd beacon to test with and I experience the problem in both. My guess is the light is emitting the noise and depending on how far or close your com antennas are from the beacon dictates wheter or not you hear it over the headset BUT the closer your antennas are to the lights the louder the noise gets and it's why a handheld radio is the best way to test.

Putting this out here for a couple of reasons. One to see if the problem can be replicated if you have this light, 2 - see if anyone has any ideas on how to eliminate the noise (other than moving com antennas), and 3 - make others aware that there may be an noise issue with these lights depending on where you install them

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMycja_kc64&feature=youtu.be[/ame]

Latest posts

Back