• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Question about Loran and GPS antenna cabling

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

killrocks

Reaction score
So, I have an old Apollo Loran unit in my Cherokee, looks like 80s vintage.

I picked up a functional Apollo 820 Flybuddy VFR GPS that is supposed to utilize the existing Loran tray and wiring. I slid the GPS into the Loran tray and it powers up just fine. My question is regarding the antenna cabling. The existing Loran antenna cabling runs to the tailcone, and connects to a small signal amplifier and Loran antenna on the belly, using what appears to be standard antenna cable and a BNC connector.

I have a C129 TSO GPS antenna but it requires a TNC connector.

Can I simply use the existing Loran antenna cabling, and have our local on-field avionics guy cut off the BNC connector, crimp or solder on a new TNC connector, and reroute the cable to the top of the airframe to plug into the GPS antenna, and expect it to work? Is it legal?

Alternatively, if I have to have an entire new cable made, what kind of connector will it require to connect at the tray?

Lastly, can I do any of this under the supervision of an AP/IA?

Thanks for any help!

Latest posts

Back