• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

IFR certified Avidyne 440 question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm beginning my IFR training and have an IFR equipment question.

Bought my plane a few years ago and it had a non-WAAS 430 installed under a 337. On the dash was the placard "gps approved for vfr use only". That 430 was upgraded to WAAS by Garmin and was installed along with the upgraded GA35 WAAS antenna by an avionics shop. Later, I swapped and installed that 430W for an Avidyne 440 under the owner installed instructions and logbook entry provided by Avidyne. The plane has a current altimeter and static system check in compliance with 91.411 and 91.413. Plane has dual nav/comms with glidescope and VOR.

(1) The Avidnye 440 AFMS meets the requirements for IFR flight:
AC 20-138D:

19-9. Operations manual or AFMS/RFMS.

An AFMS/RFMS must be provided that contains the limitations and operating procedures applicable to the installed equipment configuration. The AFMS/RFMS must address the operation of the equipment and the related components as they are installed (e.g., remote source selector). An AFM/RFM supplement is required if the installation is based on a prior approval that had an AFM/RFM, or if there are any limitations associated with the operation of the equipment.

(2) I've kept the database updated on an annual subscription.

(3) As installed, it meets the GPS TSO-C129 and TSO-C146 requirements

Looking at the requirements, it seems like I can now remove this sticker as the Avidyne 440 meets all of the IFR requirements but I'm seeking guidance. Thoughts?

Latest posts

Back