• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Power Settings

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rrc1962

Reaction score
The way I set the throttle is at 500ft AGL I pull back to 25/2500 and hold that during climb. Then at cruise altitude, which is usually less than 5000ft, I pull everything back to 22.5/2400. Then I lean for cruise using the ROP method.

I was talking to my A&P/AI yesterday and he said that he pushes the throttle to the firewall and leaves it there. On climb he reduces the RPM a little, then on cruise reduces it back to 2300 or so and leans LOP. The reasoning is that by the time you get to 5000ft, you just about need full throttle to maintain cruise power anyway. I'm going to do the GAMI lean test and inflight lean mag check. That will tell us how closely the cylinders are balanced. Being a carb engine, the cylinders may not be balanced enough to lean LOP.

What's your method?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back