• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Tach just started to read 300 RPM high

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
On take off of my Pa28-151 Warrior I noted that my full power was giving me in excess of redline (2700) RPM but still sounded and acted normal. After getting to safe altitude I pulled throttle back and started problem solving. It ended up that my tach was suddenly off by approximately 300 RPM. I confirmed this diagnosis with a hand held tach on the prop. I’m now looking at getting the tachometer either rebuilt or replaced. If I had disposable income I would opt for an engine monitor that would act as primary tach, but that’s not in the budget. After looking around I’m leaning on replacing it with the Electronics International A1 electronic tach that pulls the data from the mags. Does anyone have any Pireps on these, as once ordered they are set to your specifications of red and yellow arc, and your current tach time.
Thanks
Mark

Latest posts

Back