• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Piper Aztec oleo travel question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coopere

Reaction score
I've skimmed through my maintenance manual but can't seem to find the info I need

Does anyone know what the total travel of the maintenance gear oleo is on the Aztec? I need to know the travel distance assuming the oleo has collapsed.

I had a flat over the weekend and it was a royal pain securing a jack from my amo. Not anything to do with the amo they have been extremely helpful more so simply because it's a 40min drive each way to bring the jack over.

So I looked at spruce at jacks, but I can't justify spending $400 per jack on something that's maybe $100 in parts

I'm looking at buying aluminum jack stands and welding a 4 ton bottle jack on top but I'm concerned the bottle jack might not have enough travel. The bottle jacks I'm looking at are 5" or 5 1/2" cylinder travel I'm hopeful the total oleo travel isn't more or it won't be able to lift the tire off the ground

I'll have a locking collar machined to prevent the aircraft from lowering in the event of a jack failure

I'll also make legs for the jackstand to increase the size of the base. I also want to keep the jacks as light as possible so in the event of getting stuck away from homebase anyone can easily move them into a car or ship them to me

Thanks I'll post some pics

IMG_5414.jpg

IMG_5413.jpg

Latest posts

Back