• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Piper apache mag drop

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heygeronimo

Reaction score
So when im switched to my right mag only i see a drop of 250-300 rpm. What is weird is i have brand new tempest plugs. Literally just put them in. By the time i taxi from my hanger to the runway the bottom plugs are already fouled. I lean for taxi every time and even remain lean for my 1800 rpm run up. I have been just pulling the mixture to clear up the roughness and increasing throttle but now it wont blow it out. Ive pulled the plugs pertaining to the right mag and already theres a good piece of lead stuck on one which is probably the issue but im wondering how or why would these brand new plugs be fouling so darn quickly? I have a buzz box and could test the harness, and could test the new plugs for high resistance? Which course of action should i take? I find it hard to believe my plane is fouling brand new plugs because of my ground runs because i do lean them as much as they allow.

I could test the plugs and harnesses but how can i check my mag? My mag is already off because we wanted to look and the mechanic says it looks new inside. He however didnt check the coil at all with an ohmeter. Is there a test i can conduct wth an ohmeter to confirm the condition of any of the internal componants in the mag?

I have slick 4370 mag and it has 250-300 hours on it and was installed in 1994 approx. the harnesses a the same date. I did a cold compression test as well just to see about stuck valves or leakage past rings and all cylinders cold were between 69-72 and had no leakage at all.

On top of my mag drop this left engine just feels more rough than the right. At idle and at lower power settings. Lots of shaking around and vibration. However when at full power it feels as good as the right engine and much smoother.

I know its also probably due to whatever is causing my consistant plug fouling.

Please help guide me in the right direction

Latest posts

Back