• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

PA34 - Seneca III (Fuel Flow over limits)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grembold

Reaction score
Greetings,

I'm new here and I didn't find any discussion on this matter, but if there's any topic about my question, please, give me the link.

Well, last wednesday I experienced a problem I never expected.
It happened shortly after takeoff roll and gave me the chills.

After the Vlo, the aircraft climbed normally until 100' agl, at this time I was with gear up and flaps up but the aircraft started to lose performance. The airpeed never advanced more than 85 kias and my VS never exceeded 100 ft/m. Checking at my engines, the intake was 39 inHg and a normal 2600 RPM, but the right engine was fluctuacting in the manifold gauge up to 41 inHg with the overboot warning blinking.

After that I reduced the mixture a little, reduced power for 35 inHg and the RPM to 2500 trying to reduce drag. I set my flap to 10° to climb a little more and returned safely to the runway.

In the ground we realized the fuel flow was way beyond the limit and smoke was coming out of both engine's exautions, when power set to T.O.

It's a new engine, 30 hours, and just came from maintenance, so it's quite clear that it was bad regulated sending too much fuel causing it to run roughly.

My question is. Is it normal that the intake manifold was normal, the RPM was normal, but the aircraft experience that low performance? Shoudn't it lose some intake since the mixture was too rich?
Both engines were in trouble, but the right one was the worst.

I was within the CG limits, with calculated weight of 2102 kg (2155kg limit), and by the performance calculations I would climb 200 ft/m with single engine operation, but with both engines I didn't reach 100 ft/m.

During the situation, I didn't look at my fuel flow instruments to check what was going on.

The aircraft is a Seneca III.

Please, let me know if more information is needed.

Thanks

Gabriel Rembold Espindola

Latest posts

Back