• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

PA32-260 vs 300

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JmTodd

Reaction score
Guys,

My apologies, I know this subject has been fairly well covered in a number of threads and I have read every single one that I can find. The best set of specific datum I can identify is that the 260 is a great plane for "East and Flat", while the 300 is generally preferred by the larger population. What I cannot find is where the "line is drawn" on questionable DA for the 6-260 at or near gross.

I realize that terrain and airport specifics play a large role in determination of a safe arrival / departure destination, but for the sake of this conversation, lets assume a 5000ft runway, no notable obstacles.

My typical mission profile (read 90%) will be east of the Rockies, based at KLBX. However at least one a year I would like to visit my sister in NM, and at least once a year I would like to get into Pagosa Springs for a snow skiing trip (KPSO @7600' MSL).

My useful load gets eaten up by my wife and 3 kids (Me @ 225lbs, Wife @ 115lbs, S1 @ 100lbs, D1 @ 115lbs, S2 @ 55lbs) so 610lbs of humans + 504lbs (full @ 84g) of fuel + ???lbs for luggage and un-needed crap.. Obviously needs to add up to less than empty fuel weight / gross for the specific craft, but as you can imagine, very few missions will be less than 80% of gross, even with 0 baggage (not a possibility) and kids have an unfortunate habit of growing..

So my specific questions:
  1. 260 vs. 300?
  2. What is the real DA "grey area" for the stated load / airport conditions for each?
  3. I understand that the selling price for a 260 will be less than a 300, but relative to initial investment, is there a real difference in appreciation / depreciation over time? Consider I plan to hold this plane for at least 12 years (youngest to college).
  4. In my current opinion, a Ray-Jay 260 would be optimal, but they are ridiculously rare. Can a Gami equipped 300 at LOP and optimal range cruise power be as economical as a 260 in terms of direct operating cost (I have seen quoted fuel consumptions all over the board)?
Love the forums and appreciate all the knowledge deposited here. Thanks in advance for your constructive responses. ETA to serious market consideration of available planes is ~3-4 months. Budget will be ~$100k acquisition all in (pre-buys, repairs, acquisition cost, insurance, etc).

JT

Latest posts

Back