• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Pa32 260 carbureted o540 heat issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a 1967 pa32 260 with a carbureted o540 e4b5. Great plane, great engine. I’ve owned it for over six years, engine is strong with excellent compressions. Here’s my issue: cylinder #5, (back right) likes to run hot. Likes to creep into the 400’s on climbout, and on a hot summer day I often have to use carb heat to keep it from climbing higher. (Throttle is WOT, as this I’m told opens an extra jet for more fuel, anything less than WOT will make it even hotter) Oil cooler is directly behind 5, and oil temp likes to creep up into the high 220’s on a hot day in climb as well. In cruise, I run WOT by the book at 2100rpm, as higher rpm will create higher temps in #5. Usually at altitude that works out to be around 65% power. Long story short, according to the book I should be able to run 65% at 12.2gph, but that would put #5 in the 400s. I follow mike Busch’s advice, and keep #5 at 380 in cruise. This results in a 15gph fuel burn. Now on the flip side, to keep #5 happy, #2, (front left I believe) is very cool. On a cold day or at high alt will want to drop under 300. Now if I come back from WOT, that will close that jet and keep everyone more happy, but then I’m not getting my best performance.
Think it’s a baffling issue?

Latest posts

Back