• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

PA28-140 Approach Speeds

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottS

Reaction score
Good morning!

The home field for the Cherokee I fly is an interesting one with lots of "features" (9000' peaks, offset approach paths, powerlines, trees, 2400x75 runway) so we are basically flying steep approach paths and short field landings every time. In the interest of improving my stick and rudder skills, I created this chart of approach speeds based on the POH recommendations and 1.3*Vso calculations for various weights. I am posting it here as a bit of a "peer review".

Principles I used were to work backwards from the POH Vs and Vso numbers for gross weight (2150) and fill in in-between (any fudging was done upwards and not downwards).

One question that is unanswered for me is if there is actually a reduction of stall speed between stage 2 and stage 3 flaps? Once the flaps are past 20 degrees on some designs, there is no additional lift and only additional drag. In theory, the Vso for Stage 2 and Stage 3 flaps might be the same so approach speeds could be the same. this is not consistent with the POH though.

Anyways, interested in constructive feedback. If it works for you, feel free to use it as well.

Scott

View attachment Approach_Speeds.xls

Latest posts

Back