• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Cherokee POH Has Me Come In Hot

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frontrangeflyer01

Reaction score
I read an interesting article in the March 2019 edition of IFR Refresher magazine about “High-Energy Approaches” and the dangers associated with them.

The 1973 POH for my 73 Piper Cherokee Six says that my approach speed with full flaps should be 90 MPH.

The article stated that light aircraft POH’s usually publish a single Vso figure (for max gross) and most pilots don’t take into account that lowering the gross weight also lowers the Vso, therefore lowering the ideal approach speed (assuming no gust factor).

If I use the FAA recommended 1.3 x Vso, I get 76 MPH for my aircraft.

(POH says my Vso is 63 mph @ 3400 lbs gross and 58 mph @ 2900 lbs gross. I usually fly well under 2900 lbs).

I notice that I tend to float if I’m much above 85 MPH.

My question is, am I taking any risks by dropping my approach speed down to 76 mph (assuming no gust factor).

Or is there something unique about my Hershey Bar Cherokee that dictates a higher approach speed?

Latest posts

Back