• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

PA-28 I can't shut off master with engine running

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bushpilotmexico

Reaction score
I have an interesting problem. My AME replaced my alternator with a Chrysler rebuilt and it was necessary to run a new fieled wire. I also replaced the voltage regulator with a Zeftronics. Guess what? No more dancing ammeter BUT when I did my test flight the next day as I turned on downwind light smoke started to drift from, I assume, the instrument panel. I immediately contacted the tower, explained my situation and asked for an immediate approach and landing. Now assuming it was electrical I shut the master switch off but amazingly it was non functional, in the off position all the electrics including radios were alive and functioning. On my base leg and short final the smoke had disappeared.

After landing in my tie down I pulled the mixture, turned the mags off and shut the master switch. Guess what" The master switch was functioning as it should and shut the electricals off.

I restarted the engine and as before with the engine running the master switch was dead in the water. Shut the engine down and the master functioned as it should!

The AME and myself are going to look at it tomorrow but would anyone have any idea as to what is happening or what we should look for?

Latest posts

Back