• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

PA-28-140 expected cruise speed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mountain Pilot

Reaction score
Up to now majority of my recent Cherokee flying has been in the local area, but preparing for some Fall X-Country flights I took it up yesterday to get some expected cruise speed values.

Meandmy140jpg.jpg

It is a 1966 Cherokee 140, Aircraft has 2,000 hrs on the engine, VG's, Flap & Aileron Seals, Main wheel pants removed but nose pant on ( main pants out for repair ), and Madras Wing Tips. The aircraft weight is on the "fat side" ( so am I ) so it is closer to a "Book" value of two persons.

It was at 9,000 ft at 15dec C, fuel at 36 gal, one person aboard, Zero wind at altitude ( strange for here ) Used GPS, also DME and TAS to cross check and at leaned full throttle ( about 70% power ) I was getting 129 MPH ( 112 knots )

This is just about what the "book" value is.

This is the first time that I remember an aircraft I have has flown and matched the "book" values, usually I am about 10% lower.

Is this a fluke or is the tables supplied by Piper that accurate? :roll:

Latest posts

Back