• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

O320 High #2 Cylinder CHT

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stweedley

Reaction score
Hoping you guys can help me interpret this engine monitor data to try to diagnose a hot cylinder on my PA28-161 (O320-D3G).

Since installing a JPI 730 at last annual, I'm finding that on climbout my #2 cylinder is getting very hot. It tends to peak around 450-460F in a 70-80 knot climb. It is worst when taking off shortly after runup. This was during the summer with ambient temps around 50-60F. Lycoming manual says max continuous is 435F. 500F appears to be the absolute limit. Fuel flow during climb is around 12.7 gph.

All cylinders stabilize around 360-380F in cruise.

I have been able to manage the temps by flattening out the climb and powering back early, but #2 is consistently much higher than the others. The #4 cylinder is not far behind, which seems to suggest not enough cooling on the left side, but I'm not seeing any obvious baffling issues. It's also odd that the front cylinder is hotter than the back. I wonder if its more of a fuel or air distribution issue causing it to be too lean. I'm hoping there may be some clues in this data that you guys might recognize before I hand it over to an engine shop to start burning through money trying to chase it down.

Two data trends are attached. One is a flight in the pattern with a couple of touch and goes. The other is a short local flight with a touch and go.

Anyone have similar experiences? Appreciate any input!

JPI 6-22-15.jpg

JPI 6-22-15 2.jpg

Latest posts

Back