• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Nosewheel shimmy problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm on the list for my local shop to take a look and get this solved. But, in the interim, I put my wife inside and had her pump the pedals and it was plain to see the "slop" that exists in the steering linkage. Visible movement in the areas circled. I do not know the part names, but that top piece that connects to the pedal steering pushrods and that also connects to the steering dampener is loose relative to the actual steering torque tube. That horizontal bolt (it is a bolt?) has a ton of slop on it. I can feel the looseness when I steer and I think the shimmy itself is undampened because the tube shimmies inside of the slop range of that upper piece, thereby never allowing the shimmy dampener to work.

What kind of a job is this? Relatively cheap?

2018-09-02%2B13.20.44.jpg

Latest posts

Back