• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Shimmy Mystery Solved

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been trying to figure out why our Cherokee 140 shimmys. We replaced the nose wheel, shimmy dampener and torque link bolts. Could not find any reason. It would shimmy when not enough pressure was on the rudder pedals when taxiing fast and reducing the throttle. Happened every time. My mechanic said that he had fixed 3 Cherokees with the same problem by tightening the nut on top of the front strut. I had nothing to lose so we removed the steering yoke and we got about 1/4 turn on the nut. Also, the bolt holding the steering yoke on was lock-wired but was not even finger tight. The lock-wire for the bolt is supposed to go to the nut but it was going to the yoke arm. Put everything back together, made sure everything was tight and lock-wired properly. Problem solved!! I intentionally tried to make it shimmy but could not get it to no matter what I did :)

I have read many threads on this issue and have never seen this as a possible cause. I thought I would share it in case someone else is fighting the same battle and done everything else.

Latest posts

Back