• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Nose Strut "O" ring installation question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pushingiron

Reaction score
I have a 1969 P28-180D. I'm having the nose strut rebuilt and we ran into a small snag that I would like to see if anyone can supply some advice. Hopefully my description of the issue makes sense.

Before disassemble the bearing sleeve had a quad "O" ring next to a standard "O" ring, on the inside. I'm assuming those familiar with rebuilding a strut knows what I'm talking about.

Issue: We are not able to get the new quad "O" ring and the supplied "O" ring back in the bearing sleeve (the supplied "O" ring may not even be for this as this kit is for several models). The manual calls for a quad "O" ring and a "back-up washer".

The only combination I'm able to get to work is a leather washer and the quad "O" ring. I did find a posting, not on this site, where the leather washer and the quad were used together, I'm assuming successfully. Or, is there a way to squeeze the quad "O" ring and the standard "O" ring into the groove, I'm out of ideas on how to get 5lbs of "O" ring into a 3lbs groove, so is my mechanic.

This is what the manual says: "Carefully install in the bearing sleeve the quad ring (14), back-up washer (15) and the wiper strip (16). Slide the "O" ring (13) in place on the outside of the sleeve." --- The two items I'm struggling with are 14 & 15.

My mechanic, who hasn't rebuilt a piper strut until now, isn't comfortable with this idea, as this doesn't match what came out of the bearing sleeve. He's suggesting we take it to another shop that has more experience with pipers. I'm okay with the other shop idea if need be, I'd also like to hear from this very knowledgeable group on ideas.

Clear as mud and thanks in advance.

Latest posts

Back