• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Annual Sanity Check

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyingfrog

Reaction score
Good afternoon! I need to get a quick sanity check on my annual write ups. We move every couple of years, and that makes finding a trusted shop difficult. We've had our Cherokee for ten years, and we've had the normal variation in annual write ups and cost for the most part ($1k for the inspection, and typically another $500 to $1K in repairs with a few exceptions). As usual, we have a new shop this year, and some of the items seem reasonable while others don't. I'm going to discuss with the shop next week, and I want to make sure my questions and any push back are reasonable. So, here it is:
1 Propeller forward spinner bulkhead cracked, $190 parts, $120 labor
2. Propeller bolts corroded $90 parts, $200 labor.
3. Propellor spinner nut plate brackets corroded, $200 labor to clean and paint
4. Stabilator hinge bearings need to be replaced. $243 parts, $560 labor. My previous mechanic said that this was coming and it is a big job, so I'm not too concerned on this one.
5. Trim tab hinge "worn" $66 parts, $360 labor. I'm concerned about the definition of worn here due to another item marked for replacement as "worn". Is there a tolerance it needs to meet?
6. All aileron hinges are worn and have play. $728 parts, $520 labor. Previous trusted mechanic never mentioned this as a concern.
7. Cabin door lower hinge missing rivet. $40 labor...seems ridiculous
8. Both door hinges worn $270 parts, $320 labor. The door works great. I'm very hesitant to mess with this.
9. Cylinder base nuts have corrosion. $13 parts, $120 labor. I'm hesitant to mess with a cylinder that is working well.
10. Induction duct to air box needs to be replaced. $130 parts, $80 labor. This does need to be replaced, but this seems like an easy job with the cowl off. Two clamps?
11. ELT antenna is incorrect for ELT. No price yet. Either it works or it doesn't?
12. Master battery relay bolt has corrosion $40 labor...really?
13. Missing rivet on bottom of fuselage, $40
14. Parking brake handle doesn't engage well, $80 labor to diagnose. It does engage, and I chock it everywhere I go. Seems excessive
15. Service oleo struts with oil and air, labor $600.

There were various other write ups, and the overall estimate is north of $6k before we even start. So, there is some legitimate work (stabilator, prop bulkhead), but I'm not going to fix a door that works. Can any of you comment on the other items and estimates? Some specific questions:

- What is the standard for the "worn" ailerons? Is there any amount of play allowed, or is it a zero play item like the stabilator?
- I've flown a lot of airplanes with a little rust on the cylinder base bolt heads...is this really a big concern

We are brand new to the shop and on good terms, and I want to keep it that way. I'm also moving out of the area in two weeks (annual wasn't actually due until 30 Jun), so I'm not opposed to having them issue a ferry permit if they are sticklers on some of the other items like the door. Any advice or wisdom?

Latest posts

Back