• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Wing Removal

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henni8a5

Reaction score
I will be removing my wing as well to replace the wing walk and have some questions (in addition to previous discussions) for the experts that have done this. Don't want to reinvent the wheel but capable of doing the work, just never done it on a PA-28. Disclosure up front, current A&P (still wet behind the ears) and work with an IA that is mainly versed in Cessnas but very knowledgeable otherwise.

My service manual (2008) lists the spar bolts as AN176 series but IPC (2013) lists them as NAS6606 series. I'm inclined to go with the most current version but wanted to know what the day-to-day wing removers are using. Likewise, the SM indicates that MS20365 series nuts are required but IPC has MS20142 listed.

For my 1969 PA-28-180 the IPC lists the following panels for fwd/aft sections:
FWD, Right 62061-002
AFT, Right 62061-004

Just to confirm, those parts will come (complete) with the skin and attached support (rib) panel underneath?

Have SL 997 for wing removal as well as SB 1366 to help with main spar hardware installation and inspection.

I chose to remove the wing for the job mainly due to time not being a factor and will probably get the spar EC inspected even though it is not required for my model mainly for piece-of-mind. I know there is a lot of controversy on whether the panel needs to be replaced based on minor cracking on lower ribs and in-place vs. removal. Don't want to use cherrymax rivets (in place) as it seems Piper frowns upon that seeing as it's a supporting structure.

Waiting for the bashing to begin but hope it will be in the form of guidance and mentorship instead...

Safe flying

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back