• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Opinions on wing spar finding

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mocha2168

Reaction score
Group,

I hope everyone had a joyous holiday and healthy New Year.

It was found during an inspection last month that the left wing spar (1979 PA 28-181) was inadvertently nicked while drilling rivets to repair the wing's top skin. This repair was done in 1994 and the logbook's notation states 'patched left wing top skin at rib aft of spar'. The A&P doing the annual showed me some pictures and believes the individual doing the repair must have known they inadvertently drilled alongside the spar.

The first pic is the top of the left wing showing the repair. The other 2 pics are from the left wing's interior showing the brace and wing spar nick.

Is this a significant structural issue? This is a repair that was done 26 years ago and there have been no changes to the defect in the 10 years I've own the aircraft. The area is clean and free of any corrosion. If there is a concern can one recommend a reputable shop to get a second opinion?

Thanks as always,

Leo

Attachments

• Top of left wing repair Dec 2020.jpg
    Top of left wing repair Dec 2020.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 160
  • Left wing spar and repair Dec 2020.jpg
    Left wing spar and repair Dec 2020.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 170
  • Drill nick by left wing spar Dec 2020.jpg
    Drill nick by left wing spar Dec 2020.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 167