• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Nose shimmy, start up, trim

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mooroon22

Reaction score
When landing 1978 pa-28-181 archer II my nose shimmeys and I read on the forum changing the bushings might help.

Where is a good place to buy parts to have them in hand when I go to mechanic shop at my airfield. ? Is is ok to bring parts to the shop for them to fix or does that break protocol?

I am having trouble starting the plane by the recommended procedures. I have to pump 6 or more times to get it rumble and usually on third attempt it finally starts. I had the capacitor in left magneto change (slick m3984 I believe) but the problem persisted. Is the battery dead? Since I just bought plane can I just buy a new battery and replace? The spark plugs looked ok to mechanic but they were definitely old not sure of age. Can changing simple small items be smart or path a font want to start without end. Magneto check after start is fine with only 100 rpm loss when turning key. I have tried fuel pump on and off and fuel rich and lean and throttle midrange and quarter. Just need help figuring out how to start it up on first try.

The last issue on newly acquired plane is the electric trim. Is goes down all the way but only goes 1/3 up past neutral without hand cranking it. I had AV shop tighten but didn't resolve the issue. Any advice is welcome thanks.

Just seeking common sense advice. Thanks or the help.

Latest posts

Back