• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Trim wheel jam by fire extinguisher handle - caution!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was doing some pre-takeoff and runup checks on my 1984 Dakota yesterday when I discovered that the trim wheel would only move towards the "nose down" direction - either using electric trim or manual manipulation. The trim wheel seemed to be simply "stuck" when attemping to move it backwards (nose up.). I taxied back to my hangar under the impression that something pretty bad had happened either to the trim wheel rigging or the jackscrew and was going to text my mechanic to see what it could be. After getting out of the plane, I noticed that the pin on the fire extinguisher mounted between the front seats had partially come out and the trigger handle had flopped forward and was acting like a ratchet on the trim wheel knobs! It absolutely blocked trim wheel motion in the nose up direction, but would allow down-trim easily. This would have been bad to discover after takeoff... I replaced the pin fully and snapped the extinguisher back into its bracket, but made sure that it was rotated in such a way that the trigger handle could not reach the trim wheel if the pin came out again. I thought that others with Cherokees of all types may need to know about this. - Curt B.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back